Dental Sealants: Protecting Your Child’s Teeth
Dental sealants are a thin, plastic coating that is painted onto the chewing surfaces of back teeth. They act as a barrier to protect teeth from plaque and bacteria, which can cause cavities. Sealants are safe and effective, and they can last for many years.
Why are dental sealants important for children?
Children’s back teeth have deep grooves and pits that can be difficult to clean with a toothbrush and floss. Food and bacteria can get trapped in these grooves and pits, leading to cavities. Sealants can help prevent cavities by sealing off these grooves and pits so that food and bacteria cannot get in.
How long do dental sealants last?
Dental sealants can last for many years, but they may need to be touched up or replaced over time. Your dentist las vegas will check your child’s sealants at every dental checkup and cleaning.
Are dental sealants safe?
Yes, dental sealants are safe. They are made of a material that is similar to the material used in white fillings. Dental sealants have been used for many years, and there have been no serious safety concerns reported.
When should children get dental sealants?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that children get dental sealants on their first and second molars as soon as they erupt, which is usually around the ages of 6 and 12. If your child has deep grooves or pits in their baby teeth, your dentist may also recommend sealants for those teeth.
How is the dental sealant procedure done?
The dental sealant procedure is quick and painless. Your child’s teeth will be cleaned and dried. Then, a gel will be applied to the teeth to help the sealant adhere. The sealant will be painted onto the teeth and then cured with a special light. Once the sealant is cured, your child will be able to eat and drink normally.
What are the benefits of dental sealants?
Dental sealants offer a number of benefits for children, including:
- Reduced risk of cavities: Dental sealants can reduce the risk of cavities in children by up to 80%.
- Cost-effectiveness: Dental sealants are a very cost-effective way to prevent cavities. The cost of sealants is much lower than the cost of fillings and other dental procedures to treat cavities.
- Convenience: Dental sealant procedures are quick and easy, and they can be done during a regular dental checkup and cleaning.
How to care for dental sealants
To care for your child’s dental sealants, simply brush and floss their teeth regularly and have them see the dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. Your dentist will check your child’s sealants at every checkup and cleaning to make sure they are still in good condition.
Additional tips for protecting your child’s teeth
In addition to getting dental sealants, there are a number of other things you can do to help protect your child’s teeth, including:
- Encourage your child to brush their teeth twice a day for two minutes.
- Help your child floss their teeth once a day.
- Limit your child’s intake of sugary drinks and snacks.
- Take your child to the dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
Dental sealants are a safe and effective way to protect children’s teeth from cavities. If you have any questions or concerns about dental sealants, talk to your child’s dentist.
Additional benefits of dental sealants
- Dental sealants can help preserve a child’s natural teeth, which can save them money and pain in the long run.
- Dental sealants can help improve a child’s oral health, which can lead to better overall health.
- Dental sealants can help boost a child’s self-esteem by giving them a healthy, attractive smile.
Who should get dental sealants?
Dental sealants are recommended for all children, but they are especially beneficial for children who:
- Have deep grooves or pits in their back teeth
- Have a high risk of cavities, such as children with diabetes or who wear braces
- Come from a family with a history of cavities
How to find a dentist who offers dental sealants
Most dentists offer dental sealants. You can find a dentist in your area who offers dental sealants by searching online or asking your friends and family for recommendations.
Protecting your child’s teeth is important
Dental sealants are a safe and effective way to protect your child’s teeth from cavities. By getting dental sealants and following other good oral hygiene practices, you can help ensure that your child has a healthy smile for a lifetime.